From Wall Street To Nepal, Life Changing Moments, And What It Means To Have Enough w/ James C. Hopkins
How has your life changed direction from traveling?
This week I am joined by Poet, Entrepreneur, and retired Stockbroker, James C. Hopkins, to learn all about how he made the transition from a hectic life on Wall Street to living a simple Buddist life in Kathmandu.
If you are a dreamer at heart then you will not want to miss this episode. We discuss why every experience has value, what compassion in action looks like, how to spend money wisely while traveling, why you should “shut up and do something” today and so much more.
What moments in your life have caused you to make big changes? I'd love to hear what they are and hope you will share them by sending me an audio message.
Don't forget that if you want access to the private Zero To Travel podcast feed, a bonus episode every month (decided on by YOU), exclusive content, direct access to me to answer your questions, and more. Click Here To Try Premium Passport For Only $1 and get:
- Access To The Zero To Travel Podcast Archives (300+ amazing episodes and growing)
- One Bonus Episode Per Month (Decided By YOU) + Exclusive Content You Can’t Hear Anywhere Else
- Ask Me (Jason) Your Burning Questions, and Get A Personal Answer!
- All Episodes Ad-Free (From April 2021 Onward)
Today’s episode is brought to you by Rumpl, makers of sustainable and travel-friendly blankets and towels. With over 135 prints to choose from you will be sure to find a design that fits your style, use the code Zero at checkout to get 15% off your purchase. This episode is also brought to you by the US Bank Cash Plus Visa Signature Card, earn 5% cashback for doing what you love, and visit their website to discover how you can get a $200 cashback bonus.
Tune In To Learn:
- Why the physical presence of books had a big influence on James' early life
- The books James finds himself reading over and over again
- What it was like growing up in the small town of Lynchburg Virginia
- How James managed life as a stockbroker by day and poet by night
- Why traveling to India inspired James to reconsider his conception of happiness
- The decision that caused James to retire at 45
- Lessons James learned as a stockbroker that carried into his new life
- How James’ relationship with money and possessions changed over time
- The power of saying “yes” to help others
- Where James learned to transform cynicism into action
- Why James was drawn to Buddhism and what it has taught him
- Advice for navigating new beginnings
- The difference between detachment and non-attachment
- Ways that fear has transformed over the years
- How to make the most out of your money when traveling
- And so much more
- Join Zero To Travel Premium Passport
- Rumpl & US Bank Cash Plus Visa Signature Card - Today's Sponsor
- Support Quilts for Kids
- Check out the Himalayan Writers Workshop
- Learn More about James’ Collection of Poetry
- Location Indie
- Getting Free Through Travel with Mike Clarity
- Immersion Travel: Becoming A Porter In Nepal w/ Nate Menninger
- The Spiritual Journey + Travel and Creativity with Karan Bajaj