We are here with another episode in our transition to travel series where we have an interview with a guest prior to their travels and then one after (or during if it is long term) so that we can see how travel can change people.
Today we are talking with my friend and Location Indie member, Lance Wright from The Midlife Traveler, who took a leave of absence from his higher education career to travel the world. We did the first interview about 3 weeks into his trip and the second interview after his trip (about 8 months later) and we get to see if he went back to his job, how he integrated back into his "normal" life, how his wife of 25 years dealt with being gone, and all the tips and tricks of travel & travel planning he learned along the way.
I love these labor of love episodes and I hope you do too!
Would you ever take a solo trip even if you are a part of a couple? What has been your biggest transition to travel moment? Send me an audio message or shoot me an email over at Jason@ZeroToTravel.com.
Check out the full show notes with all the links discussed here!
I am so excited to partner with HomeExchange.com who makes it possible to see the world without paying for accommodations. Make sure you listen to the entire podcast to get the promo code to save you some extra cash when you get your first exchange.
Tune In To Learn:
- 08:45 First Time For Everything
- 10:25 When You Don't Have To Resign From Your Job
- 14:00 How To Talk To Your Partner When You Want To Solo Travel
- 18:15 Learning The Lessons & The Need For Community
- 19:50 Planning vs Fly By The Seat Of Your Pants
- 21:20 Arriving In A New Place Alone & Beautiful Albania
- 23:45 Preparing For The Trip: Values Clarification
- 28:30 How Is Family Handling Everything
- 32:10 The Midlife Crisis Traveler & What That Means
- 34:50 The Masculinity Paradigm
- 39:05 Serving Others & Being Fully Committed
- 43:25 Back To The Future
- 44:30 Was The Trip All It Was Cracked Up To Be
- 45:05 The Hard Days & The Rabies Adventure
- 48:05 Tips For Connecting With Other People On The Road
- 50:40 Impacting The Relationships With Family
- 53:45 Tips On Planning & Knowing Yourself
- 58:30 Highlights From The Trip
- 01:02:30 The Workaway Idea & Airbnb Experiences
- 01:07:05 Back To Work & Getting Back To "Normal"
- 01:13:45 The Moment Of Clarity
- 01:21:50 Relationship With The Home Country
- And so much more