Have you ever had the urge to explore the world beyond the boundaries of society?
Today's guest, Greg Abandoned, shares his passion for urban exploration including stories of some of his most challenging journies, most cherished experiences, and all about the URBEX movement.
If you have ever wondered what it would be like to visit parts of unseen society and want to know more about finding beauty in decay, then you don't want to miss this episode. We talk about how Greg found a new perspective on life through urban exploration, what inspired him to jump into this lifestyle, the unwritten rules of URBEX, and where you can start on your own journey.
Have you ever participated in urban exploration? I'd love to hear about your experience and hope you will share by sending me an audio message.
Don't forget that if you want access to the private Zero To Travel podcast feed, a bonus episode every month (decided on by YOU), exclusive content, direct access to me to answer your questions, and more. Click Here To Try Premium Passport For Only $1 and get:
- Access To The Zero To Travel Podcast Archives (300+ amazing episodes and growing)
- One Bonus Episode Per Month (Decided By YOU) + Exclusive Content You Can’t Hear Anywhere Else
- Ask Me (Jason) Your Burning Questions, and Get A Personal Answer!
- All Episodes Ad-Free (From April 2021 Onward)
Today’s episode is sponsored by US Bank Visa Platinum Card, perfect for large purchases, unexpected expenses, and balance transfers. To see if you qualify for the lowest APR out there, visit usbank.com/platinum today. This episode is also brought to you by Rumpl, makers of sustainable and travel-friendly blankets and towels. With over 135 prints to choose from you will be sure to find a design that fits your style, use the code Zero at checkout to get 15% off your purchase.
Tune In To Learn:
- Why Greg currently resides in Bejing
- What it was like to grow up in Poland and why he moved to England at 17
- The biggest differences between English and Chinese culture
- Why Greg was arrested by the Chinese secret police and what happened during the interrogation
- What exactly is URBEX
- How to follow good etiquette when doing urban exploration
- When and why Greg fell in love with urban exploration
- Which video game inspired Greg to take a trip to Chornobyl and start his journey
- What it means to find beauty in decay and satisfaction in overcoming obstacles
- Unique travel stories from engaging in URBEX
- How to start out on your own urban exploration adventure
- The importance of finding a balance between sharing and keeping undiscovered locations off the map
- Why photography is an important part of the process for Greg
- The most challenging urban exploration experiences Greg has ever had
- How many times Greg has been caught or arrested during his journies
- Why URBEX has given Greg a new purpose in life
- The hidden meaning behind Chasing Bandos
- And so much more
- Join Zero To Travel Premium Passport
- US Bank Visa Platinum Card & Rumpl - Today’s Sponsors
- Check out Greg’s Website
- Listen to the Chasing Bandos Podcast
- Get a copy of Greg’s latest book Abandoned China
- Follow Greg on Instagram
- Location Indie
- How To Get Off The Beaten Track with Gunnar Garfors
- Getting Off The Beaten Path with Travel Writing Legend Joe Cummings
- Hidden Paths and Sacred Rides with Mike Brcic